Chess, anyone?


Art by MUROB
From Wikipedia...

Chess Records was an American record label based in Chicago, Illinois. It specialized in blues, R&B, gospel music, early rock and roll, and occasional jazz releases.

Run by brothers Leonard and Phil Chess, the company produced and released many important singles and albums, which are now regarded as central to the rock music canon. Musician and critic Cub Koda described Chess Records as "America's greatest blues label."

Chess Records was based at several different locations on the south side of Chicago, Illinois, the most famous being at 2120 S. Michigan Avenue from c. 1956 to c. 1965, immortalized by British rock group The Rolling Stones in "2120 South Michigan Avenue", an instrumental recorded at that address during their first U.S. tour in 1964; the Stones would record at Chess Studios on two more occasions. The building is now home to Willie Dixon's Blues Heaven Foundation.
Vols. 1- 5 (more info soon)..



01. Chicago Boogie - The Five Blazes
02. Hey Pretty Mama - Jump Jackson and his Orchestra
03. Ice Man's Blues - Tom Archia
04. Boogie Woogie Blues - Clarence Samuels
05. Bilbo Is Dead - Andrew Tibbs
06. Johnson Machine Gun - Sunnyland Slim
07. Gypsy Woman - Muddy Waters
08. I Feel Like Crying - Andrew Tibbs
09. She Ain't Nowhere - Sunnyland Slim
10. I Feel Like Going Home - Muddy Waters
11. I Can't Be Satisfied - Muddy Waters
12. Tonky Boogie - Forrest Sykes
13. Florida Hurricane - St. Louis Jimmy
14. You're Gonna Miss Me - Muddy Waters
15. Locked out Boogie - Leroy Foster
16. Streamline Woman - Muddy Waters
17. A Woman on Every Street - Forest City Joe
18. Crying the Blues - Laura Rucker
19. Baby I'm Sick of You - Duke Jenkins
20. Black Angel Blues (Sweet Black Angel) - Robert Nighthawk
21. You're Gonna Need My Help - Muddy Waters
22. Big Town Playboy - Little Johnny Jones
23. Screamin' and Cryin' - Muddy Waters
24. All I Need Is You - The Bozier Boys
25. Six Three O - Robert Nighthawk
26. Rollin' and Tumblin', Pt.1 - Muddy Waters
*


01. Rollin' Stone - Muddy Waters
02. That's Alright - Jimmy Rogers
03. You Got to Get It - The Dozier Boys
04. Send for the Doctor - Doc Pomus
05. Louisiana Blues - Muddy Waters
06. Goin' Away Baby - Jimmy Rogers
07. So Glad I Found You - Johnny "Shoeshine Johnny" Shines
08. Mother Earth - Memphis Slim
09. Long Distance Call - Muddy Waters
10. Slow Caboose - Sax Mallard
11. The World's in a Tangle - Jimmy Rogers
12. Rocket 88 - Jackie Brenston
13. Leave My Wife Alone - John Lee Hooker
14. Honey Bee - Muddy Waters
15. My Real Gone Rocket - Jack Brenston & His Delta Cats
16. Moanin' at Midnight - Howlin' Ron Wolf
17. Howlin' Tomcat - Harmonica Frank Floyd
18. Juiced - Billy Love
19. How Many More Years - Howlin' Ron Wolf
20. Still a Fool - Muddy Waters
21. Hey Little Girl - John Godfrey Trio
22. Booted - Rosco Gordon
23. She Moves Me - Muddy Waters
24. No More Doggin' Around - Rufus Thomas
25. Dark Road - Floyd Jones
26. Dr. Ross Boogie - Dr. Isaiah Ross
*


01. Mr. Highway Man - Howlin' Ron Wolf
02. Murmur Low - Arthur "Big Boy" Spires
03. Walkin' the Boogie - John Lee Hooker
04. When I Am Gone [Extended Version] - Joe Hill Louis
05. Truckin' Little Woman - Willie Nix
06. Sugar Mama - John Lee Hooker
07. Juke - Little Walter & His Nightcats
08. Date Bait - Blue Smitty
09. Every Day I Have the Blues - Joe Williams
10. Standing Around Cryin' - Muddy Waters
11. Mean Old World - Little Walter
12. I Don't Know - Willie Mabon
13. 24 Hours - Eddie Boyd
14. Me and My Chauffeur - Memphis Minnie
15. Sad Hours - Little Walter
16. She Just Won't Do Right (Dust My Broom) - Elmore James
17. I'm Mad - Willie Mabon
18. Be Careful What You Do - John Brim
19. Off the Wall - Little Walter
20. Diggin' My Potatoes - Washboard Sam
21. Nadine - The Coronets
22. I'm Glad - Mitzi Mars
23. Forty Cups of Coffee - Danny Overbea
24. Tell Me Mama - Little Walter
25. Third Degree - Eddie Boyd
*


01. White Cliffs of Dover - The Blue Jays
02. Blues with a Feeling - Little Walter
03. Jock-A-Mo - Sugar Boy Crawford
04. Mad Love (I Want You to Love Me) - Muddy Waters
05. You're So Fine - Little Walter
06. Wine, Wine, Wine - Jimmy Binkley
07. Chicago Bound - Jimmy Rogers
08. I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man - Muddy Waters
09. Biscuit Baking Woman - Eddie "Guitar" Burns, Big Ed & His Combo
10. I'm a Young Rooster - Chordones, Leonard Tarver
11. Just Make Love to Me (I Just Want...) - Muddy Waters
12. Sloppy Drunk - Jimmy Rogers
13. Evil - Howlin' Wolf
14. When the Lights Go Out - Jimmy Witherspoon
15. You Better Watch Yourself - Little Walter
16. That Man Is Walking - Larry Liggett
17. I'm Ready - Muddy Waters
18. Reconsider Baby - Lowell Fulson
19. Sincerely - The Moonglows
20. Mama Talk to Your Daughter - J.B. Lenoir
21. Last Night - Little Walter
22. It Must Have Been the Devil - Otis Spann
23. Fourty Four - Howlin' Ron Wolf
24. I Want to Hugh You, Kiss You, Squeeze You - Buddy Griffin & His Orchestra
25. Free and Easy Mind - Jimmy Nelson
26. Most of All - The Moonglows
27. If You Don't Somebody Else Will - Johnny & Jimmy
*


01. Mardi Gras Mambo - Hawketts
02. Love Me - Jimmy Lee & Wayne Walker
03. My Baby - Little Walter
04. Check Yourself - Lowell Fulson
05. I'm a Man - Bo Diddley
06. Bo Diddley - Bod Diddley
07. Are You out There? - Percy Mayfield
08. Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters
09. Maybellene - Chuck Berry
10. Diddley Daddy - Bo Diddley
11. Walking the Blues - Willie Dixon
12. The Seventh Son - Willie Mabon
13. Pretty Thing - Bo Diddley
14. Don't Start Me Talkin' - Sonny Boy Williamson [II]
15. The $64,000 Question - Bobby Lee Tuggle
16. Trouble, Trouble - Lowell Fulson
17. Thirty Days - Chuck Berry
18. In My Diary - The Moonglows
19. See You Later, Alligator - Bobby Charles
20. Tippity Top - The Rays
21. Trouble No More - Muddy Waters
22. I'll Be Home - The Flamingos
23. Who - Little Walter
24. No Money Down - Chuck Berry
25. So Glad She's Mine - Charles "Hungry" Williams
26. You're the One - Jimmy Rogers
27. Smokestack Lightnin' - Howlin' Ron Wolf
*


01. We Go Together - The Moonglows
02. Roll Over Beethoven - Chuck Berry
03. You Better Believe It - Paul Gayten
04. A Kiss from Your Lips - The Flamingos
05. Take It Easy, Greasy - Bobby Charles
06. Who Do You Love - Bo Diddley
07. See-Saw - The Moonglows
08. Brown Eyed Handsome Man - Chuck Berry
09. Don't Go No Farther - Muddy Waters
10. I Asked for Water (She Gave Me Gasoline) - Howlin' Ron Wolf
11. 29 Ways - Willie Dixon
12. Would I Be Crying (If I Were Lying to You) - The Flamingos
13. Keep It to Yourself - Sonny Boy Williams
14. Too Much Monkey Business - Chuck Berry
15. Don't Touch My Head - J.B. Lenoir
16. I'm Ashamed Of Myself - Floyd Dixon
17. A Simple Prayer - The Ravens
18. Tall Dark And Handsome Man - Bobby Cisco
19. Boom, Boom (Out Goes the Lights) - Little Walter
20. Ain't Got No Home - Clarence "Frogman" Henry
21. Walkin' by Myself - Jimmy Rogers
22. Been So Long - The Pastels
23. Got My Mojo Workin' - Muddy Waters
24. School Day - Chuck Berry
25. Please Send Me Someone to Love - The Moonglows
26. Susie Q - Dale Hawkins
27. Rock Me - Muddy Waters
28. Blue Velvet - The Moonglows
*


01. Hey Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
02. Fattening Frogs for Snakes - Sonny Boy Williamson [II]
03. Long Lonely Nights - Lee Andrews & The Hearts
04. Mona (I Need You Baby) - Bo Diddley
05. Cool Off Baby - Billy "Curley" Barrix
06. Flat Foot Sam - T.V. Slim
07. Happy, Happy Birthday Baby - The Tuneweavers
08. Rock and Roll Music - Chuck Berry
09. Before You Accuse Me - Bo Diddley
10. That's Why I Love You So - Al Kent
11. My Soul - Clifton Chenier
12. Go Ahead - Billy Miranda
13. Ninety Nine - Sonny Boy Williamson [II]
14. Book of Love - The Monotones
15. Look Out Mabel - G.L. Crockett
16. Sittin' on Top of the World - Howlin' Wolf
17. The Walk - Jimmy McCracklin
18. Nothin'shakin' (But the Leaves on the Trees) - Eddie Fontaine
19. Ten Commandments of Love [Full Version] - The Moonglows
20. Yea Yea - The Kendall Sisters
21. Sweet Little Sixteen - Chuck Berry
22. Tornado - Dale Hawkins
23. Four O'Clock in the Morning - Stanley Mitchell & The Tornados
24. Say Man - Bo Diddley
25. Everybody Rock (New Orleans Beat) - Jimmy McCracklin
26. Anything to Say You're Mine - Lula Reed
27. Your Funeral and My Trail - Sonny Boy Williamson [II]
28. Moanin' for My Baby - Howlin' Ron Wolf
*


01. You Got Me Whistlin' - Johnny Fuller
02. Oh-Oh - Eddie Bo
03. Carol - Chuck Berry
04. La-Do-Dada - Dale Hawkins
05. Loud Mouth Annie - Mtles & Dupont
06. Do You Remember? - L.C. Cooke
07. Vacation's Over - Lou Josie
08. Key to the Highway - Little Walter
09. Close to You - Muddy Waters
10. Sweet Little Rock and Roller - Chuck Berry
11. I'm Sorry - Bo Diddley
12. Sugaree - Rusty York
13. This Broken Heart - The Sonics
14. Crackin' Up - Bo Diddley
15. Almost Grown - Chuck Berry
16. This Should Go on Forever - Rod Bernard
17. I Want to Know - Sugar Pie DeSanto
18. Save It - Mel Robbins
19. Back in the U.S.A. - Chuck Berry
20. Bad Girl - The Miracles
21. Unseeing Eye - Sonny Boy Williamson [II]
22. Howlin' for My Darlin' - Howlin' Ron Wolf
23. Anna Macora - The Calvanes
24. Everything's Gonna Be Alright - Little Walter
25. Let It Rock - Chuck Berry
26. Road Runner - Bo Diddley
27. Trying to Make a Living - Bobby Saxton
28. Goin' Back to Memphis - Gene Simmons
29. First Time I Met the Blues - Buddy Guy
*


01. All I Could Do Was Cry - Etta James
02. All Your Love - Otis Rush
03. I Can't Hold Out (Talk to Me, Baby) - Elmore James
04. If I Can't Have You - Etta James & Harvey Fuqua
05. Blue Shadows - Lowell Fulson
06. Spoonful - Howlin' Ron Wolf
07. Tiger in Your Tank - Muddy Waters
08. Gunslinger - Bo Diddley
09. (I Don't Know Why) But I Do - Clarence "Frogman" Henry
10. At Last - Etta James
11. Back Door Man - Howlin' Ron Wolf
12. The Watusi - The Vibrations
13. Just Your Fool - Little Walter
14. Come On - Chuck Berry
15. I Won't Be Hanging Around - Albert King
16. You Always Hurt the One You Love - Clarence "Frogman" Henry
17. Peanut Butter - The Marathons
18. Down in the Bottom [Unedited Version] - Howlin' Ron Wolf
19. Music, Music, Music - The Sensations
20. I'm a Little Mixed Up - Betty James
21. Little Red Rooster - Howlin' Ron Wolf
22. So Mean to Me - Little Milton
23. Proof of Your Love - Jackie Cannon
24. Let Me In - The Sensations
25. Smokey Places - The Corsairs
26. Nine Below Zero [Unedited Version] - Sonny Boy Williamson [II]
27. Something's Got a Hold on Me - Etta James
28. Stone Crazy - Buddy Guy
*


01. Reap What You Sow - Billy Stewart
02. Rinky Dink - Dave "Baby" Cortez
03. You Can't Judge a Book by Its Cover - Bo Diddley
04. Stop the Wedding - Etta James
05. Lonely Baby - Ty Hunter
06. Mama Didn't Lie - Jan Bradley
07. Got You on My Mind - Cookie & the Cupcakes
08. Pushover - Etta James
09. Help Me - Sonny Boy Williamson [I]
10. 300 Pounds of Joy - Howlin' Ron Wolf
11. Sally Go Round the Roses - Jaynettes
12. You Keep Her - Joe Tex
13. Second Hand Lover - The Knight Brothers
14. Hi-Heel Sneakers - Tommy Tucker
15. Nadine - Chuck Berry
16. You Can't Lose What Ain't Never Had - Muddy Waters
17. Soulful Dress - Sugar Pie DeSanto
18. My Time After A While - Buddy Guy
19. Selfish One - Jackie Ross
20. Don't Mess Up a Good Thing - Fontella Bass & Bobby McClure
21. I Had a Talk with My Man - Mitty Collier
22. Promised Land - Chuck Berry
23. The Entertainer - Tony Clarke
24. Voice Your Choice - The Radiants
25. Crawlin' King Snake - Buster Brown
26. I Do Love You - Billy Stewart
*


01. Love Is a Five-Letter Word - James Phelps
02. We're Gonna Make It - Little Milton
03. Ain't No Big Thing - The Radiants
04. Temptation 'Bout to Get Me - The Knight Brothers
05. Sitting in the Park - Billy Stewart
06. Who's Cheating Who? - Little Milton
07. The In Crowd - Ramsey Lewis Trio
08. Rescue Me - Fontella Bass
09. Summertime - Billy Stewart
10. Searching for My Love - Bobby Moore & The Rhythm Aces
11. Wang Dang Doodle - Koko Taylor
12. Dirty Work Goin' On - Little Joe Blue
13. In the Basement - Etta James & Sugar Pie DeSanto
14. Landslide - Tony Clarke
15. In the Mood - John Lee Hooker
16. It's a Man's Man's World - Big Maybelle
17. Wade in the Water - The Ramsey Lewis Trio
18. One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - John Lee Hooker
19. Without A Woman - Kip Anderson
20. Peak of Love - Bobby McClure
21. Sweeter Than The Day Before - The Valentinos
22. To Know I Can't Touch - Barbara & The Browns
23. I Fooled You This Time - Gene Chandler
24. Try My Love Again - Bobby Moore & The Rhythm Aces
25. Ooh Baby - Bo Diddley
26. I Feel So Bad - Little Milton
*


01. Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - Marlena Shaw
02. Dirty Man - Laura Lee
03. I'm Shorty - Tommy Tucker
04. Cheater Man - Irma Thomas
05. O-O I Love You - The Dells
06. Tell Mama - Etta James
07. Some-A Your Sweet Love - Wayne Cochran
08. Uptight Good Man - Laura Lee
09. There Is - The Dells
10. I'm Just What She Needs - Johnny Sayles
11. You Left the Water Running - Maurice & Mac
12. It Ain't Necessary - Mamie Galore
13. Sitting Home Alone - Hound Dog Taylor
14. Cadillac Jack - Andre Williams
15. Good to Me - Irma Thomas
16. Security - Etta James
17. Stay in My Corner - The Dells
18. You Name It, I've Had It - Willie Walker
19. Here Comes the Judge - Pigmeat Markham
20. Look at Me Now - Terry Callier
21. Walking Thru the Park - Muddy Waters
22. Grits Ain't Groceries - Little Milton
23. Love You Like a Woman - Koko Taylor
*


01. I Had a Dream - John Littlejohn
02. Oh What a Night - The Dells
03. If Walls Could Talk - Little Milton
04. Who's Been Talking - Howlin' Ron Wolf
05. Baby, I Love You - Little Milton
06. Losers Weepers - Etta James
07. Recouperating - Lee Eldred
08. Can You Be a One-Woman Man - Sam Dees
09. Tease Your Man - Koko Taylor
10. Sad, Sad Day - Muddy Waters
11. My Ding-A-Ling - Chuck Berry
12. Give You Baby a Standing Ovation - The Dells
13. Can't Get No Grindin' - Muddy Waters
14. Can't Stay Here - Howlin' Ron Wolf
15. Bio - Chuck Berry
16. I Miss You - The Dells
17. I'll Be Holding On - Big Al Downing
18. Don't Make Me No Promises - The Dramatics
19. I'm Leaving On That Late, Late Train - Solomon Burke
20. Tell Me What You Want - Jimmy Ruffin
21. Going Down to Main Street - Muddy Waters.
*




10 comments:

  1. What a great share, Chess records had some of the premier artists of the period.

    Great work


    Rhod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this posting. I am Looking forward to hearing the less wellknown items. I just found you so I will be back.
    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a treasure chest.

    If I've gotten a better share, I can't think of it offhand.

    My gratitude, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for leaving your comments, and enjoy the last 4 of the set!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rock! Many thanks!

    http://bornintyme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cool! Music I don't know thats worth hearing.I plan to buy this box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. absolutely amazing.
    this is history!

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for this wonderful post.
    I love the music of Ramsey Lewis and had his Chess "Best Of" back in the 70's and it went missing.

    Once again just to say its a great post

    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Joe. Thanks so much for dropping by and i am really happy that you got something from it. What this label was able to publish, be it stuff they recorded themselves or through associates (Sun Records etc) is just mindblowing!

    Ramsey Lewis is awesome. I have a "This is Jazz" best of comp in case you're interested. Otherwise, look here for some more Ramsey:
    http://themonkisback.blogspot.com/search/label/Ramsey%20LEWIS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic post ! Instant music history lesson-Thanks a million!!!

    censusloss

    ReplyDelete